Data governance valuation is a process that helps business determines what works and what doesn’t as well as the barriers. Let’s discuss data governance assessment purposes in detail.
- Find out how the current data governance program is helping out.
- Identify the blockages that hinder the efficient use of data.
- Discover and define the real goals and outcomes.
- Evaluate current data environment like what systems and tools are employed.
- Get to know how employees ask for reports and who is liable for data quality issues. How do employees gain answers to their data system queries?
- Determine who is an eligible candidate for data steward designation and who others need to participate. Even identify who is not feasible to participate in the initial data governance group as they are not interested or not competent.
- Educate everyone in the enterprise about data governance value and build organizational support essential down the road.
- Develop phased implementation strategy for every area.
What are the real outcomes and goals?
- Due to lack of data literacy, there is a need to create a data catalog and business glossary that employees will use to get familiar with the data.
- Improve self-service and reduce data-related questions bombed at the support staff. It means to give access to data specifications, data requests, definitions, business glossary, etc.
- Implement data request process speedily to speed and enhance report creation.
- Data quality improvement is attained via skilled data stewards capable to resolve quality problems spontaneously.
Understanding data governance resolution is crucial for data governance assessment as it leads to creating an actionable data governance plan. Data governance-related blog posts, articles, and podcasts can be accessed from the EWSolutions website.
Benefits of data governance evaluation process
- An objective review of the data governance program’s current status based on applicable industry standards and best practices.
- Develop business goals for controlling and managing data based on approved standards and policies.
- Refine metadata and data stewardship management approach.
How often to recheck data governance maturity assessment?
Rechecking data governance maturity evaluation helps identify the progress made and vulnerable areas that need attention in the next phase. Maturity assessment helps company –
- To evaluate ‘current’ status.
- To define ‘want to be’ position.
- To assess the gap between ‘current’ status and the ‘want to be’ situation.
- To benchmark the outcomes against peers in the niche.
Performing maturity assessment helps companies create a foundation to develop plans, actions, roadmaps, and strategies to attain the ‘want to be’ position.
How often to implement data governance evaluation?
The timing is crucial. You don’t want to recheck often because nothing will have changed and it can be a waste of time.
It depends on your business situation but not more frequently than 6-months to one year. Remember, when you see the data governance maturity evaluation results, never underestimate your accomplishments. Data governance is teamwork and you need to ensure that everyone is on board. The governance maturity assessment tool is helpful but avoid doing it frequently.
Data governance maturity assessment is advantageous and every business has its own model or way of doing it.